How to Write a Barback Resume?: A Comprehensive Guide
A barback is a bartender's assistant who is responsible for keeping the bar stocked, organized and clean. Barbacks usually work in hotels, clubs and restaurants and are an essential part of the support staff. If you are interested in working in the food and beverage industry, a barback position can be a great place to start and gain the necessary experience.
Barback Resume Example
Hard-working and proactive barback with 3 years of experience in effectively supporting efficient bar operations serving over 100+ customers daily. Skilled at organizing stock and maintaining a clean bar area and work station. Strong commitment to delivering exceptional customer service and an ability to thrive in a fast paced environment.
Tony's Pub & Grill, Austin, Texas
November 2021 - Present
- Maintain cleanliness and an organized bar area and assist bartenders to serve 200+ customers during peak hours.
- Slice and pit fruit, cut lemons, and prepare garnishes to prepare for cocktails and drinks.
- Assist the bar manager with closing duties and responsibly shut down the bar everyday.
- Adept at effectively handling customer complaints while the bartender is occupied and provides excellent customer service.
- Execute weekly inventory checks to make sure the stockrooms have adequate supplies for efficient bar operations.
Surf n Turf Restaurant, Dallas, Texas
October 2020 - October 2021
- Responsible for taking orders and serving food and drinks to the patrons of the establishment.
- Maintained a clean and sanitized dining area and ensured a pleasant experience for all the customers.
- Collaborated with the kitchen staff to ensure timely delivery of orders for a pleasant customer experience.
- Organizational skills
- Communication skills
- Managing liquor inventory
- Proficient in basic mixology
- Beverage service
- Manual dexterity
- Cash handling
High School Diploma
Carter High School, Dallas, Texas
Graduation Date: April, 2020
According to the Statista Research Department, in 2022 the U.S bar and nightlight club sector was valued at $35.3 billion. To work in a multi-billion dollar industry which is consistently growing, the chances for professional growth are limitless. The starting point to achieve all of that is by drafting a clean and professional resume. Through this guide, we aim to provide you with the skills to learn how to market yourself to hiring managers by highlighting your professional capabilities effectively on your resume.
What are the job duties of a Barback?
A barback is an essential service worker that provides all-round support to the bartender. The specific duties of a barback may vary depending on the place they are working but the main priority is ensuring excellent customer service. Here are some general responsibilities that are usually included in a barback job description.
As a barback, you are expected to keep an account of the bar inventory and restock essential items like liquor, glassware and other bar supplies.
Barbacks are responsible for keeping the bartender's workstation and the bar area clean. This includes washing and organizing the glassware, cleaning countertops, clearing empty beer kegs and disposing off trash as per the safety and sanitation policies of the area.
Barbacks assist bartenders with serving drinks to the customers. Tasks like cutting garnishes, preparing cocktail ingredients and getting supplies from the liquor room are all part of the barback duties.
During the peak hours of an establishment, the barbacks can be called for serving drinks and deal with customer complaints to alleviate the bartender's workload.
Inventory management is a big part of the job and you will need have an efficient system to rotate stock and reduce the risk of the supplies getting spoiled.
Pro Tips to Write a Great Barback Resume
Writing a professional resume requires a nuanced and strategic approach where you unlock how to present your best professional attributes and your relevant skills and experience. In this section, we plan to show you how to do exactly that. Here's a compilation of the main pointers to keep in mind while you write your own resume.
- Keep your barback resume concise and to the point and try to capture all your pertinent professional details in one page.
- Optimize your resume by incorporating the same keywords used in the job description.
- Choose a suitable resume format that showcases your essential qualifications in the best light.
- Start your resume with a professional header which contains all your contact details correctly.
- Write a short and punchy resume summary that efficiently captures your career highlights, top skills and relevant qualifications.
- Showcase your work history by listing your previous positions in a reverse chronological order using bullet points.
- List your main skills in the order of relevance to meet the requirements of the specific job you are applying for.
- Detail your educational background by mentioning the details of the degree and the institution you graduated from.
Review the Job Description Carefully
It is highly recommended to read the job description carefully before applying for any job. This practice will help you evaluate whether your skills and experience match the requirements of the role. It also helps tailor your resume which increases the chances of your application getting noticed by a hiring manager.
Research The Company
It always helps to acquaint yourself with the company's values, culture and mission to incorporate those details into your application. A well-researched job application can go a long way in making a great first impression with potential employers. Employers appreciate candidates who show a real interest in the job as well as the company. It also helps you determine whether the company's work culture and ethos aligns with your own career goals.
Pick the Right Format for Your Barback Resume
Choosing the correct format will definitely give you a headstart in your resume writing process. The format of your resume will play a huge factor in determining how your professional details are presented to the recruiter. There are primarily three types of resumes that are widely accepted in the job market- chronological, functional and hybrid.
The chronological format works best for applicants who have consistent employment history with a steady career progression. In this format, your prior work experience is listed in a reverse chronological order. The advantage of this format is that it is easy for employers to scan through the entire timeline of your career.
The functional format focusses on your skills rather than your prior professional experience. This format works best for candidates who have a non-traditional work history with multiple career shifts and huge employment gaps.
The hybrid format combines the main features of the chronological and functional formats. It offers a balanced view of your skills and work experience by giving equal importance to both. This works for applicants who want to shine a light on their professional capabilities and relevant experience equally.
Create a Professional Header
One of the most prominent sections of your barback resume is your header. This is the first section of your resume that contains your personal and contact details. Even though it is a simple section to write, it is advisable to double check all the information to avoid errors. Provide the following contact information in your barback resume.
- Full name
- Job title
- Phone number
- Email Address
- LinkedIn profile
Write an Impactful Resume Summary
The professional summary acts as an introduction to your professional career and the value that you can bring to a company. The main purpose of your resume summary should be to highlight your relevant experience in the service industry. Here are effective tips to incorporate while writing the summary for your barback resume.
- Use an adjective that best describes your professional self before your job title. Follow this up with the number of years of experience you have as a barback.
- Highlight your skills, experience and notable achievements you have had in your career.
- Express your passion for the industry and the barback role you are applying for.
- Align your professional summary to meet the job requirements and enhance your suitability for the barback position.
- A professional summary should be brief, so aim for conveying your professional capabilities in 3-5 sentences.
Elaborate on Your Prior Work Experience
The crux of your resume lies in the work experience section. It is imperative to present your professional history in a clear, concise and structured manner. The purpose of this section is to offer recruiters with the proof that you have the necessary experience and skills to be considered for the position. Let's take a look at the key steps you need to take to write a memorable experience section.
- To make sure your most relevant barback experience is placed on top, list your previous jobs in a reverse chronological order.
- Specify the job title, name of the company and the dates of employment for each job.
- Keep the description of your past roles short and organize it in bullet points.
- Begin every bullet point with a powerful action verb to emphasize a sense of duty and accomplishment.
- Customize this section before each job application to align your experience with the specific requirements the employer is seeking.
Highlight Relevant Barback Skills
Showcasing your skills in a separate section is important to convince a hiring manager that you are the perfect candidate for the position. Scan the job description carefully so that you get a clear idea of the specific hard and soft skills you need to prioritize in your resume.
Detail Your Educational Qualifications
The educational criteria for a barback position is usually a high school diploma. However if you have relevant education in the hospitality space it can work in your favour during your job search. Detail your academic background by mentioning the degree, the name of the educational institution and the graduation date.
In addition to the standard sections of your barback resume, you can provide extra information on certifications, languages and interests. This can help you differentiate your application and attract the attention of recruiters. Make sure to add information that highlights your extensive knowledge of the service industry. Be mindful of not crowding your resume with irrelevant information that doesn't add value to your job application.
Formatting and Styling Tips for Your Barback Resume
A professional resume needs to be aesthetically designed by incorporating the right design elements. When it comes to designing your barback resume, remember, "less is more". A simplistic and minimalistic design goes a long way in leaving a lasting impression. We have compiled a list of essential tips to ensure a professional layout for your barback resume.
- Choose a professional and easy to read font like Arial, Calibri or Times New Roman.
- Use bullet points to ease the readability and maintain a clean and organized look.
- Make the section headings prominent by using a slightly larger font size and making them bold.
- Leave ample white space between sections and on the margins to avoid a crowded look.
- Avoid using excessive design elements like graphics, images, tables and charts and go for a minimalistic approach.
Proofreading and making final edits on your resume is a crucial step to ensure you have a flawless application. Grammatical and typographical errors can trigger ATS softwares to reject your resume in an instant. You can also correct formatting inconsistencies and design issues if you scan your resume carefully after drafting it. An error-free barback resume is necessary to make a positive first impression on potential employers.
- Understand the role of a barback and the demands of the service industry before applying for jobs.
- Read the job descriptions to tailor your resume to align with the specifications of the particular role.
- Research the company to be well-prepared for interviews and to convey a genuine interest in the job.
- Choose a suitable format to highlight your career in the best way possible.
- Include your contact information in the header section of your resume.
- Write a resume summary that perfectly captures your experience, skills and showcases your suitability for a barback position.
- List your employment history in a reverse chronological order and use bullet points to elaborate the duties you had in each role.
- Showcase your soft and technical skills to highlight your eligibility for a barback role.
- You can add extra sections like certifications, languages and professional memberships to help stand out from the competition.
- Use a simple and professional design to make your resume visually appealing.
Once you have finalized your resume, all that is left is to start applying for jobs. Try to be proactive during your job search and do follow-up on your applications. If you would like to get more insider tips on how to enhance your resume, then feel free to browse through our extensive collection of resume examples and templates. Happy job hunting!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to write a resume for a barback?
A good barback resume needs to efficiently convey your professional competencies and a real excitement for the position. Before writing a resume, you need to go through the job description carefully. This will help you incorporate only the relevant details about your barback career which aligns with the specifications of what the employer is seeking. The main sections that need to be covered in your barback resume are as follows.
- Contact information
- Professional summary
- Work experience
What are the responsibilities of a barback?
A barback is responsible for providing all-round support to bartenders to help them provide uninterrupted service to their customers. Keeping the bar area clean and organized, restocking the inventory and tending to customer requests and complaints are the main responsibilities of a barback.
What is a suitable length for a barback resume?
The appropriate length for a barback resume is one page. Most recruiters spend a few seconds per application, so it is the most efficient to convey all your professional details in the most concise manner.
What’s a Rich Text element?
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
Static and dynamic content editing
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the settings panel. Voila!
How to customize formatting for each rich text
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.
Create your resume in 15 minutes
Our free collection of expertly designed cover letter templates will help you stand out from the crowd and get one step closer to your dream job.