Veterinary Assistant Resume Example, Template & Writing Guide
Animals do need proper care and medical attention just like humans. For this now we have modern care facilities for pet owners where advanced medical treatments and facilities are rendered. Those working at an animal hospital are known as veterinary assistants.
Sample Veterinary Assistant Resume
Vincent P. Finch
4651 Heather Sees Way
Ketchum, Oklahoma 74349
Compassionate veterinary assistant with over ten years of experience in providing surgical-assistance at the animal hospital. Competent in ensuring quality veterinary care, scheduling appointments, and administer-medications to the patients. In-depth knowledge of patient care, and laboratory tests, and notify veterinarians about the medical-records. Seeking a veterinary assistant position at your emergency animal care unit to monitor animals.
Sr. Veterinary Assistant
A-One Animal Care
- Explained the entire surgical procedure to pet owners beginning from exam rooms to patient discharge, the cost to be incurred, and the post surgical care routine.
- Coordinated with the in-house pharmacist and practitioner nurses to deliver uninterrupted medical supplies and administer the same to the patients as per the schedules.
- Contributed towards highly critical medical procedures by assisting medical assistants and physicians by accurately defining the patient history for further processes.
- Applied conventional techniques for restraining animals to stop voluntary movements so that doctors can easily examine the animal and collect necessary samples.
Sr. Veterinary Assistant
Global Patient Care
- Assisted the hospital patient scheduler to schedule appointments for patients based on different categories like examination, sample collection, medications, and surgery.
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills while working at various vet clinics exam rooms, operating rooms, performing diagnostic tests, and answering client calls for information.
- Collected urine samples after administering fluids and communicated with the on-duty ICU nurse to collect laboratory specimens for further examination of the pet health.
- Illustrated written documents, pamphlets, and flyers to educate clients on how to administer medication to surgery patients before and after according to the prescription.
Sr. Veterinary Assistant
Memorial Vet Club
- Volunteered the task of transcribing the medical terminology for recruits and non-medical personnel to easily understand and access the records of the patients.
- Scheduled appointments for anesthesia monitoring, to restrain animals, dental procedures, exam rooms, animal loading, patient care, and animal care procedures for pet owners.
- Assisted veterinarians in providing emergency first aid to the patients on-site and then transferring them to the hospital in the intensive care units for further medical care.
- Partnered with third-party agencies to speed up the laboratory analysis of urine and fecal samples and generate accurate medical-records in a digital copy within an hour.
Veterinary Assistant Skills
- Assist veterinarians
- Arrange surgical-procedures
- Scheduling appointments
- Animal care
- Filing medical-records
- Laboratory procedures
- Medical treatments
- Operating surgical equipment
- Examining animals
Bachelor's Degree in Veterinary Science
Oklahoma Vet Patient Care Institute
2007 – 2010
- Relevant Coursework: Patient care, animal science, veterinary medicine, vet assistant, veterinary practice, exam rooms, medical terminology, excellent customer service, administer-medications, veterinary technology, medical-records, surgical-procedures, and pet owners.
High School Diploma
Memorial Catholic School
2004 – 2007
- English (Native)
- Spanish (Conversational)
- Portuguese (Beginner)
- Certified Veterinary Technician, 2010-2011
Oklahoma Government Veterinary Institute
- Professional Vet Assistant Certificate, 2011-2012
Ketchum Veterinary Technology Center
- International Animal Healthcare Society, Member, 2014-Present
- State Animal Health Foundation, Member, 2016-Present
Today we are going to discuss one such veterinary assistant resume example, a template, and the process of writing the resume from scratch. Here's the first step toward writing an effective veterinary assistant resume. Refer below.
Vet Assistant Job Description
- Ensure that the patient is comfortable and patient care is given for recovery and well-being.
- The operating rooms need to be maintained daily with the highest level of cleanliness and hygiene.
- Demonstrate to newly recruited veterinary assistants how blood draws or make a puncture.
- Knowledge of veterinary medicine is compulsory for the applicant to work in a vet clinic or hospital.
- Collaborate with other vet assistant, share responsibilities, and offer better customer service.
- The applicant must have completed the official hours of veterinary practice at reputed clinics.
- File test reports of the patient and supply copies of the same to various hospital departments.
- Collect laboratory samples, tag them, and preserve them accurately for doctors and nurses.
- Experience in handling and performing operations in an animal hospital is a must and required.
- Educate clients about the treatment facilities and the medical technology in the hospital.
- Make proper arrangements in the exam rooms during and after the examination procedures daily.
- Maintain the medical-records of the patients chronologically and supply the same when needed.
- Understand and simplify the medical terminology for coworkers and junior veterinary assistants.
- Assist doctors in treatments, surgical-procedures, lab tests, and while giving patient care.
- Assist veterinarian in documentation, filing, scheduling appointments, and rendering medicines.
- Restraining animals and limiting their movements to collect samples is desired from the candidate.
- Perform different types of vet assistant job when needed or in the absence of the staff members.
- Take appropriate measures to track animal health before and after the designated treatments.
- Understand the working hours and the turnaround time of the laboratory procedures.
- Audit the stock of medical supplies by coordinating with the local pharmacy and medical officers.
- Delegate the task related to scheduling an appointment for junior and new veterinary technicians.
- Explain the entire surgical-procedures using diagrams, images, and video clips for further clarity.
- Offer compassion to pet owners and make them aware of the medical conditions of the patient.
- A minimum of a high school diploma is necessary if the applicant is not a graduate in science.
- The applicant must have completed necessary studies related to the animal science subjects.
After reading the roles and responsibilities of veterinary assistants here's a working example of the same. Read thoroughly and use the same as a template by replacing the content.
How to Write an Effective Veterinary Assistant Resume?
Vet assistant resumes are clinically complex because there's a lot of medical terminology involved for instance proper restraint techniques, patient care, blood draws, etc. There's a lot more to the list and this is why we need an effective veterinary assistant resume writing guide. Let's begin with the basics.
To align and create a vet assistant resume we need a standard resume format. As of now, we have four different types of formats. Read below.
- Reverse chronological order
- Functional resume format
- Hybrid aka combination resume format
- Creative resume format
The format depends on the type of resume that you plan to write. For instance, a graphic designer's resume will be written in a creative format and technical ones in reverse order. For our vet assistant resume we will follow the industry-standard reverse chronological order format.
After finalizing the format we need an outline to arrange resume sections that will hold the professional content in a single-page document. The outline contains six sections - the header, resume summary, experience, skills, education, and additional details.
Further the additional details will have sub-sections like language, certificate, membership, awards, portfolio, etc. All in all, the six standard sections are what we need for a vet assistant resume. Now that our format and structure are in place let's talk about writing individual sections. Here you go.
Contact Details aka Header
Browse the contact details from the veterinary assistant resume example and enforce the same to create a vet assistant resume for yourself.
Go through the contact details from the veterinary assistant resume example and implement the same to create a vet assistant resume for yourself.
Scrutinize the work experience from the veterinary assistant resume example and apply the same to create a vet assistant resume for yourself.
Veterinary Assistant Skills
Read the key skills from the veterinary assistant resume example and use the same to create a vet assistant resume for yourself.
Refer to the education section from the veterinary assistant resume example and execute the same to create a vet assistant resume for yourself.
Study the additional information from the sample veterinary assistant resume and administer the same to create a vet assistant resume for yourself.
The resume writing process concludes here and by now you might have had the idea about writing resumes for vet assistants. A step further we have a readymade template for you to go through and use if needed.
Sample Veterinary Assistant Resume Template
The following template is ready to use and outlines critical sections that are necessary to compile resumes for vet assistants. Replace the text with your content and download a PDF file to write your first or next job title application.
List of Common Keywords
Before we conclude our resume writing guide for veterinary assistants here is an important thing we must discuss. To push your veterinary assistant resume in the hiring process you need to pass the applicant tracking system that is designed to read keywords from the resume.
Hence, if your veterinary assistant resume doesn't contain the following keywords then the road might get tough ahead. So, here's the list of crucial terms.
What’s a Rich Text element?
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
Static and dynamic content editing
A rich text element can be used with static or dynamic content. For static content, just drop it into any page and begin editing. For dynamic content, add a rich text field to any collection and then connect a rich text element to that field in the settings panel. Voila!
How to customize formatting for each rich text
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.
Create your resume in 15 minutes
Our free collection of expertly designed cover letter templates will help you stand out from the crowd and get one step closer to your dream job.