Being an empathetic person who cares about the health of others made you want to choose to study nursing. This is one of the most interesting and important careers for society, but you must make a professional application if you want to be successful. If you have already created your resume, it also needs to include a nursing assistant cover letter.
According to our research, the average salary for a nursing assistant is around $16 per hour in the United States and $4,500 overtime per year.
Therefore, there are plenty of opportunities to get a job in your field. But to make the best first impression, you need to make a good presentation.
Sure, you already have a perfect resume, but if you want to make the best impact, you need to have a cover letter which is essential. In this article you will learn how to write it correctly and we will provide you with some tips to make you stand out from the rest of the candidates.
Sample of Nursing Assistant Cover Letter
This is the nursing assistant cover letter template for you to take into account. Of course, depending on your company profile, you may have to change some data, but it is a template that will help you. What makes it a successful letter? Here we will explain all the details.
Why is it important to have a cover letter?
The cover letter is the perfect document to compliment your resume. According to recruiters MichaelPage, a cover letter is an important way to showcase your skills and experience. Of course, in this case we are talking about a medical center, but the rule is the same, much more so as they are health-related services.
With a cover letter, it is a great opportunity to impress your hiring manager and connect with them on a deeper level. Cover letters can provide you with another priceless opportunity to sell yourself in a way that you can’t do on a resume. Obviously, you must use elements that are relevant and related to the vacancy in question.
You will make a better impression with a letter that presents you as a professional. And if your resume is attractive, they will want to know more about you. So the cover letter is the ideal choice. In short, it makes you look more professional and dedicated.
What to include in your nursing assistant cover letter
Having reached the moment of truth, we will explain how to make a successful cover letter step by step. The steps to follow are similar for most jobs, although of course, it is necessary to focus them according to your profile. First, it is important to take the following sections in your list:
- Header. This is where you will enter your personal and contact information, as well as the medical institution’s information. It is appropriate for you to address the human resources manager directly by name.
- Greetings. This section is ideal to show that you are an educated and cordial person, which are two fundamental qualities for the position. Everyone wants to receive friendly treatment throughout their stay in a health care facility.
- Presentation. It is not just a greeting, because it is actually a somewhat deeper section. You should briefly explain who you are and what are your main characteristics as a professional.
- Explanation of reasons. Let the employer know why your professional profile is the best fit for the job. Use solid arguments to attract attention.
- Call to action. You should encourage the reader to arrange an interview to talk in person. In this sense, you are the one who has to take the initiative.
- Sign off. Just as in the greeting, it is necessary to be brief, cordial, and friendly to close the letter. And the most important thing: leave the doors open for the next contact.
Which structure to follow
Besides these sections, it is also important to pay attention to the structure you are going to give to your cover letter. As in the resume, certain basic parameters must be followed to make the document easy to read:
- Use a letter size page or, failing that, A4
- Use a font size of 10 to 12 points
- Leave 2.5 centimeter margins
- Use a 1.5 centimeter line spacing
- Align your contact details to the left
- Align the health center address to the right
How to make a professional header for a Nursing Cover Letter
We start with the header, which is used to display your contact information, just as if it were a health record. First, you need to enter your personal information in the following order:
- Full name and surname
- Mobile Phone
- E-mail address
- Name of human resources manager
- Name of medical institution
- Health center address
To make it easier to understand, take a look at the following templates:
Start with a first class greeting
For a truly professional greeting, a few words are more than enough. It is not a good idea to expand on the paragraph or use over-the-top phrases. The purpose is for you to come across as an objective and polite professional, but to be to the point at all times.
In any case, the greeting serves to break the ice and begin to create a bond between the recruiter and the candidate. Saying hello in the cover letter will help you be received well.
Correct and incorrect example
It is important to address the cover letter to a real person. Therefore, it is essential to start the letter in the below format:
Introduce yourself in a friendly and professional manner
Once you say hello, you should explain who you are in the nursing assistant cover letter. It is true, maybe in the resume there is information about you, but remember that here you can delve deeper into your profile. Then, explain what your career is and mention the reasons for the letter.
The best thing to do in these situations is to indicate that you saw an open job offer and just wanted to apply. But apart from that, you must give an interesting reason that makes you a good candidate. You will go deeper into this section later, but now it is the time to use an opener.
Here are a couple of examples to serve as a template:
Delve into the reason why you are the right nursing assistant for the job.
The greeting and presentation are ready, so let’s move on to the main course: stand out from the rest of the candidates . You must put important data that will make your profile extremely attractive. To do this, you can use the following:
- Use the most relevant data of your professional background
- Show that you know the career to the letter
- Mention some of your most important responsibilities
- Share your training, skills, and competencies
Any patient would want to have a nurse like this by their side for some type of treatment. And considering this, recruiters will also want you to be part of their team. Such a description gives very good results in the personnel selection process.
If you notice, regarding the length of this section, it is more or less the same as the previous one. The difference lies in the quality and value data provided by the candidate, and we see that they are not very high. You have good intentions and address the recruiter in a cordial manner, but you have not given information that is impactful.
Explain why you want to work at the medical center
As mentioned at the beginning of the article, there are more than 13,000 hospitals, clinics and nursing homes where you can work. Why did you choose them? Well, that’s something you have to answer to the people in charge of the recruitment process. How can you do it? Here are some interesting suggestions:
- Subtly flatters the institution, perhaps by mentioning its position, reputation or quality.
- Show passion and motivation for your profession, showing that you are a person with clear ideas.
Call to action: important details for nursing assistant cover letter
You have already captivated the interest of the human resources manager and have surprised with your words and track record. What is the next step? Taking the initiative and using a call to action. In other words, to motivate the reader to arrange a job interview to get to know each other better.
You can be very professional and have impeccable expertise, but if you don’t use this resource, the letter will have less impact. Don’t forget that the call to action makes you look like a motivated and confident person, two key qualities for a nursing position.
Examples of how to write a call to action
In truth, this section is simpler than most people assume, because it is usually no longer than two lines.
Take a look at the following templates:
As you can see, it is a simple section to write, although of course, you must be careful not to use the wrong words. These additional tips will help you:
- Maintain a conversational tone. Remember that the cover letter should have a friendly tone, just as if you were talking to another person. Avoid making the call to action look like an advertising tagline.
- Keep calm. Don’t be overzealous or desperate to get an interview. Show that you are calm, confident and in control of the situation.
- Leave a point of interest. For example, mentioning that you have some ideas to apply at the medical center will increase the recruiter’s interest in planning a meeting.
How to say goodbye in a nursing assistant cover letter
Keep in mind that the call to action is part of your cover letter’s tagline. Even so, in view of its importance, we have dedicated a specific section to talk about it. After writing it, it is now time to close the document, following these guidelines:
- Indicates that you are willing to make further contact
- Thank them for taking the time to read your letter.
- Use a formal farewell phrase
- Ends with your full name
Examples of how to say goodbye
As with the greeting, you should only write a short line, with the same cordial and friendly tone. Take a look at the following examples:
What you should avoid
Pay close attention to the farewell, because if you use the wrong words, you could end your letter in a bad way. As a result, it would take away from the appeal of what you wrote above.
Avoid the following sentences:
- With nothing more to add
- Thank you very much for all the time you took to analyze my profile.
- I am sure we will contact you again
Remember that at all times you must maintain sobriety and integrity in your cover letter.
Tips for improving your nursing assistant cover letter
Writing a cover letter is very simple if you follow the guidelines we have provided. Now, we don’t just want you to have a well-written document, but one that makes you the ideal candidate for any job offer. If you want your letter to be perfect, here are some additional tips:
- Careful spelling. It seems obvious, but it is no secret that some people overlook grammatical rules. Misspellings are in poor taste and detract from the attractiveness of your resume. Strive to comply with all rules.
- Give it a good format. Use paragraphs that are not too long, preferably between 4 to 5 lines maximum. Also, use sentences that do not exceed 25 words in length to make reading more enjoyable.
- Keep it on a sheet of paper. One page is more than enough to write your cover letter. A length longer than that could become somewhat boring and will show you as a less objective professional.
- Send it in PDF. If you are applying online, use the PDF format to send your document. It is an unalterable and uncorrupting extension.
- Speak in the first person. You are talking about your profile, qualities and skills, so don’t use the third person. Focus on you and what makes you a good candidate.
The nursing assistant cover letter is indispensable to improve your chances of getting a job. It is a document that shows you to be more professional, dedicated and motivated. What do you need to write it effectively? Remember these points:
- Make a header with your personal data
- Greet the recruiter by name and in a cordial manner.
- Present yourself in a professional and friendly manner
- Explains why you are the best candidate for the job
- Gives compelling reasons for working at the institution
- Use a call to action
- Say goodbye as a great professional
Complement your letter with the perfect resume
As we mentioned in the article, both the nursing assistant resume and cover letter are complementary to each other. Both are essential to excel in the recruitment process. Likewise, the data placed in both documents serve to deepen your professional profile.
How to write a perfect resume? From this website we show you everything you need, so don’t miss any of our examples. If that’s not enough, you can download for you to choose one that suits your needs.