We are here to help anyone who wishes to become a Game Developer in obtaining their desired profile.
Game programmers are software developers that create the programming that allows computer and video games to run. They test and debug gaming programs to improve their stability and performance, and they are also in charge of optimizing and implementing new features in existing game apps.
Game programmer jobs are among the highest-paying professional paths available today. To get a career as a game programmer, you must be skilled, educated, and experienced.
Most essential, you will need a highly effective Game Programmer Resume to land your desired position.
To assist you, we are providing you with all of the means and procedures necessary to construct an eye-catching game programmer resume for your job advancement.
If you prefer to go directly to creating a great resume in ten minutes or less, use one of our ready-to-fill resume templates in our online resume builder.
Game Programmer Resume ExampleAre you a software developer? Well, check this out Software Developer Resume.
How To Make a Game Programmer Resume from Zero
Knowing what talents the employer is looking for is the essential concept behind making a resume.
When you notice a job posting for a game developer, start describing your abilities and studying what the company is looking for.
Mentioning your previous game development experience is a certain plus. However, keep in mind to emphasize the required talents.
You should not be concerned if you have no prior experience and are new to the field. Instead of experience, you can always promote your game programming skills.
The hiring manager is not known for wasting time drooling over a single game programmer resume, therefore we must do our best to provide them with exactly what they are searching for.
The Layout For This Resume
A clean and understandable layout is essential when creating a perfect game programmer resume. Having headings and subheadings is the first step toward having a clean and presentable resume.
This layout is highly recommended for your Game Programmer Resume.
- Name and contact information.
- Professional summary statement/ objective summary.
- Work history.
- Additional sections.
The order can be changed based on your strengths.
The Format, Structure & Layout
The format of any resume can be divided into 3 main categories:
- Functional or skill-based resume: This type of resume includes focusing on your skills and strengths that are important to the employers. Specific dates, names, and places are omitted here.
- Reverse Chronological resume: Your work history, education, and all your previous experiences with projects are listed in reverse chronological order which means starting with your current and most recent job and then going backward.
- Hybrid (Combination resume): This type of resume involves blending the flexibility and the strengths of the above two format types. This gives both the applicant and employer a clear understanding.
Below are a few most essential points that you should never overlook while creating your perfect game programmer resume.
- Keep the resume to one page.
- Nobody enjoys reading a resume riddled with grammatical errors.
- Send your resume as a PDF or MS Word file in accordance with the job description.
- Maintain consistency in the use of margins and typefaces throughout the resume.
Game Programmer Resume: Header
The header is the most significant component of your resume, and it cannot be overlooked. It usually starts with your name and ends with your contact information. Because the header is the first thing an employer’s eyes will see, making a mistake there means recognizing that you are now disqualified.
Good Header Vs. Bad Header
Now just as important it is to have a flawless header, so is to have a perfect one. Let’s see an example of a good and a bad header:
On comparing the examples listed above, you will notice that though they do not have any major differences, they are very different from each other.
👉 Here is everything you need to keep in mind while writing a good resume header:
- Your resume has to begin with your name
- Followed by a professional-looking email address.
- Lastly, never mention your complete address unless the employer has asked you for it.
Using images in a resume is a personal preference, but it is unasked for when submitting a resume in the United States. Asking for a photo is completely forbidden for discriminatory reasons. As a result, it’s preferable not to use your photo unless specifically requested.
Experience: Show Your Experience in Game Programming
The Professional Experience part of your professional resume is one of the most crucial because it highlights your job history and competence. As a result, you must pay close attention to make it as impressive and professional as possible.
The experience section significantly improves the quality of your resume. It demonstrates your abilities while also providing them with a good understanding of the previous work you’ve done and the key skills that came into play for the same.
Correctly presenting your experience can always earn you your desired job as a game programmer.
If you’re a senior game programmer, acquiring a job in game development won’t be a problem, but you can still acquire the position if you don’t have any experience. How? Let’s see what happens.
Well, experience certainly adds a lot of value to your resume, but it’s your talents that will earn you the job. It is acceptable if you have no prior expertise as a game programmer or game developer. You can still list all of your technical skills as well as applicable skills to the job offer.
Remember that it is not so much about your experience as it is about how you present it on your resume.
You must keep the following points in mind before making a professional experience section:
- Quantify your information wherever possible in the resume
- Showcase cause and effect in every bullet for a better impression
- Use a one-liner bullet and start with a power verb to grab the attention
Here are some pointers on how to improve your professional experience section:
- In any company, never use lengthy paragraphs to explain your work. Writing bullet points will make your text more readable and understandable.
Take a look at the example below to see the difference between a paragraph and bulleted professional experience points:
Putting your Education on your Game Programmer Resume
If you are a fresher, the education section will be the essential section of the resume.
Even for an experienced candidate since most high-level jobs require you to have a minimum degree.
The education section should include all your academic experiences in reverse chronological order. Elements you should include are:
- Degree Name
- University Name
- Start Date
- End Date
- GPA (if above 3.5)
- Academic Achievements
- Minor Courses
Let’s take a look at the education section of a perfect resume:-
Key Skills For Game Programmer Resume
It is the part that catches every recruiter’s eyes at the first glance. Hence, you need to prepare this section in a well-formatted manner. You can divide your skills into two parts i.e. Key Skills and Technical Skills for a better impression.
- Compass this section just before you create the Summary/Objective section
- Bold or highlight your skills to get maximum benefits on the ATS
Here’s an example of skills you can include under the two sections of skills:-
- Game Application Development
- Game Designing & Testing
- Game Programming
- Project Delivery
- Quality Assurance
- Database Management
- Software Testing
- Issue Resolution
- Software Integration
- Test-driven development
- Code reviews
- Create a user interface and spring boot
- Software: SAP, Unreal Engine, Unity 3D, Game Maker, Visual Studio
- Miscellaneous: Microsoft Office, Adobe Photoshop
A Tailored Resume Summary
Hiring managers in a competitive profession like Game Developer may analyze hundreds of applications for a single vacancy. It is difficult to write a resume that sticks out, therefore overcome that problem by providing a fascinating start to your Resume. Begin your resume with a resume objective, which is a 2-3 sentence paragraph describing your job-related abilities and career objectives.
It is the first section of your resume that anyone will read. In this part, you can emphasize all of your accomplishments, abilities, and expertise.
📌Here are some things to keep in mind when writing a summary:
- Complete this section once you’ve completed the rest of your game programmer resume.
- The summary is only available if you have 3+ years of expertise in the desired niche.
- As a fresher, you will need to create an Objective for your game programmer resume.
Take a look at what the summary of a professional resume of a game programmer should look like:-
Additional Sections to Reinforce Your Game Programmer Resume
Additional areas on your resume are vital, especially if your experience section isn’t good enough to earn you an interview.
Furthermore, if you have a unique talent or certification that you want to promote to the recruiter, this part is ideal.
Certifications, interests, and languages would be the primary sections.
Game Programmer Certifications
You can leverage the power of certification to showcase your strong technical background.
To compose this section in your game developer resume, you need to mention the following information:
- Name of Certification
- Name of Affiliated Institute
- Location of the Affiliated Institute
- Date of enrollment and completion in month/year format
Being conversant in many languages might boost your versatility and even your chances of being hired.
Remember to emphasize all of the languages you speak as well as your level of fluency.
You might put any interests that are relevant to the job offer here. If that’s not the case, leave them out and utilize that space to highlight talents or achievements.
Pro Tips to Get Game Programmer Jobs
A game programmer is an extremely rewarding job path to take. However, in this day and age, you must have certain unique qualities to land game programmer jobs.
What else can you utilize to secure a game programmer job besides a strong game developer resume and cover letter? Here are three factors to consider while you look for a job as a game developer:
It is a necessary skill for a job applicant to have. You must continue your quest not only for work prospects but also for certifications and internships that can help you advance your career.
To thrive in this sector, you must expand your network. You can utilize social media platforms like LinkedIn to develop a strong professional network that will assist you in furthering your career.
Last but not least is self-assurance. During your job search, you must be self-assured enough to speak up for yourself. Confidence is the key to unlocking your opportunity’s corroded locks.
Tips to Boost Your Resume
If you’ve read thus far, you already know how to build a game programmer resume that is ten times better than the typical resume. However, we have some extra suggestions to help you improve your application:
- Use a grammar checking tool to look for errors that you could miss while proofreading.
- Increase the quantity of numbers in your summary statement and experience sections. Numbers lend credibility to your claims.
- Use a current and clear resume format. The first impression of your resume is just as important as the substance.
Summary: Craft a Powerful Resume for Game Programming
- Begin your resume with your name, followed by your contact information.
- Write the experience or professional summary section.
- Limit the professional/objective overview to two sentences.
- Add more numbers and proof to the experience area. Concentrate on the outcomes.
- When writing your educational qualifications, stick to a consistent format.
- With the other parts, you can surprise the recruiting managers.
Complement Your Game Programmer Resume with A Cover Letter
Cover letters are a wonderful way to demonstrate your enthusiasm for a job. This is your sales pitch for the interview.
Many job candidates today underestimate the value of a cover letter. The substantial impact it can have on your recruiters will play a role in determining whether or not you will be hired.
Simply said, cover letters can help you improve your whole job application and increase your chances of getting hired.
Why settle for less until your resume is totally flawless? Even if the job ad is competitive, a cover letter can considerably boost your chances of being hired by the organization you wish to work for.
It is highly recommended that you include a cover letter with your game developer resume in order to capture your recruiter’s undivided attention. A cover letter will include information about your professional background, education, talents, and accomplishments.
Cover letters can be quite beneficial for those who have minimal experience but a strong desire to work for a company.
You can always save yourself some time by using our Cover letter tips and templates.
Here are a few highlights from our game developer resume blog:
- Showcase your functional and technical skills separately and prominently.
- In the Professional Experience section, group related talents under relevant subheadings.
- Use figures to validate your accomplishments and guarantee your expertise.
- To obtain undivided attention, fill your entire resume with specialized industry-specific keywords.
- Send your job application with a resume and cover letter to make a good first impression.
Frequently Asked Questions
Should you include references on a game programmer resume?
It is not required to provide references on your resume. Some job descriptions or employers, however, may need them. If this is the case, make a section at the bottom of the page just for them. Fill in the blanks with the references’ full names, job titles, and contact information. It is not necessary to give their street address. This requires only a phone number and an email address.
How can you highlight team experience on a game programmer resume?
Collaboration is an essential component of the game programmer’s job. List opportunities for teamwork in your work history to demonstrate that you have the appropriate stuff. “Contributed to the development of a new game prototype by optimizing embedded systems,” for example, indicates to future employers that you have successful group experience. Words, like coordinated, co-produced, and collaborated, are excellent selections for displaying your capacity to collaborate with others.
What is the average salary of a game programmer?
According to Glassdoor, the national average salary for a Game Programmer is $74,693 in the United States.