Accounting functions are essential to all businesses. This profession plays a key role in financial management and tax matters. The average salary for an accountant is $73,000 per year in the United States💰(U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics).
The recruiter is looking for an ideal candidate, so don’t hesitate to showcase yourself in the letter and also during your interview.
Discover our cover letter templates best suited to your profile among our many examples available online.
Sample Cover Letter for Accountant
Here is a sample cover letter for the job of an experienced accountant.
How to write a cover letter for an accountant
To make a letter of application, you must gather every element related to your skills and education in the field of accounting. If you have previously held a similar position in one or more companies, this is a great advantage.
📌Here are the general rules to keep in mind when writing your cover letter:
- Header: Write your name + first name, your e-mail, your city and postal code, your phone number at the top left, then the city and date below but on the right
- Make sure to put in the center: To … / to the hiring manager (or human resources) at (company name)
- Introduction: Express your enthusiasm or interest in the ad / offer
- Hook paragraph: put your professional assets (years of experience, training, your expertise…)
- Professional and/or personal section: List your education and training, your diploma(s), your certifications, your internships and other professional experience
- Interview request: You can say that you are eager to join the team; that you are available for this job right away…
- One-sentence closing greeting
How to create a good layout of the Accounting cover letter
The layout for the accounting application letter is organized as follows:
- The letterhead with your contact information, the name and contact information of the employer (no phone number), the city and the date the letter was sent
- The subject of the letter.
- The body text: with 3 or 4 paragraphs maximum. It ends with the closing greeting.
- The footer with the signature and the post-script (optional) to indicate that your resume is attached or that you are going to make a phone contact.
The structure of the accounting cover letter
The traditional structure remains for this letter template. It should ideally fit on one page (reduce the font size or the distance between each line if your text is long) and in MS Word or PDF format. Try to keep your sentences short and change your ideas for each paragraph. Before sending it, check that there are no repetitions and that your words are as clear as possible. More details in our sample letter for the accounting profession.
Writing a cover letter for an accounting job
The header is the part that identifies you and the company to which the application is addressed. Be sure to highlight the area reserved for writing your first and last name, your address (postal code, city) and your e-mail, without forgetting your telephone number. There is no need to put more information about yourself because the resume already contains it. In the area where you put the recipient, write the name of the company or the name of the person who is recruiting if it was mentioned in the ad.
Writing the ideal cover letter for an accounting job
From the very first lines, the sentence must be catchy. The recruiter will judge from the start whether or not your profile interests him/her. In our accounting cover letter template examples, the teaser arrives in 4 or 5 lines and contains:
- A brief summary to show that your profile corresponds to the one the company is looking for (education, years of experience, current situation);
- A few details about the job you are applying for to prove that you know what it is about;
- Some major skills you feel are necessary for this position.
Example of a good hook / Example of a bad hook for an Accounting job
How to mention your professional experience in your accounting cover letter
To further confirm your motivation, you can talk about your plans or goals once you have obtained the desired position. To do this, talk about the values of the company that you share and highlight your expertise.
Example of a professional summary in an accounting cover letter
How to highlight your strengths and key skills in your cover letter
You need to be able to explain how your soft skills and hard skills related to general accounting could benefit the company or the position. Your skills and personal qualities must be the solution. In other words, you must convince the recruiter that they really need you.
📌Here are some examples of hard and soft skills that are essential to the functions of an accountant:
- Mastery of computer tools
- Management of office automation and accounting and tax processing software.
- Mathematical skills
- Good knowledge of legal, fiscal and accounting standards (labor and corporate law, public procurement code, supplier regulations) as well as of the company
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to work in a team
- Autonomous and organized
- Good synthesis skills
How to finish your accounting cover letter
It is important to finish the letter well to show the recruiter that you are really interested in the job. There is no need to summarize what has already been said to avoid repetition, but you should conclude with a request for an interview and a greeting.
Examples of phrases to request an interview
The following are sample wordings for an interview request for the accounting position:
Examples of appropriate closing greetings
Here are some examples of polite closing statements for cover letters for this type of job:
Summary: Key points for writing the perfect accounting cover letter
To create the best accounting cover letter, it is important to follow the formatting and structure as in our templates and examples available online. Here are some tips for creating your personalized letter:
- Use a professional and uniform font that is easy to read
- Use short sentences
- Be specific and clear
- Aerate the page
- Try not to exceed one page
- Proofread to avoid careless mistakes
Frequently Asked Questions for an Accounting Cover Letter
Which resume should I choose for my accounting cover letter?
To accompany your application letter, you should also create a quality resume. Choose from our resume templates. The ideal resume should contain all the information concerning the education and skills required for the accountant’s role. The resume should also highlight your profile, summarizing your education and professional experience related to accounting. Your personal information (town/city, telephone number, email) should be included in the first few lines of your resume. Add, of course, your language skills, computer skills and personal qualities. Some recruiters also like to get to know the candidate better through their values, hobbies or interests. No need to put a whole list, 2 to 3 or 4 per heading will suffice. Keep in mind that the resume template should be no longer than one page.
How do I write the e-mail that will contain the cover letter?
You must write a short e-mail to introduce your application, attaching your cover letter and resume. This e-mail must be short and must not contain any spelling mistakes. Start by professionally addressing the recipient, after writing “Hello”. Also, remind the recipient of the job title you are applying for, and politely invite them to open the attachments. Don’t forget to put your phone number and full name at the bottom of the e-mail so they can call you quickly without having to search through the attachments.