While most jobs at Walmart do not require experience because they offer on-the-job training, you can use our effective Walmart resume example to create a resume that stands out. You can also check out our resume examples which will help you write your professional resume.
This article will give you some tips to help you create a Walmart resume that sets you apart from the other candidates whether you are looking for a part-time gig or full-time employment. Check out our resume templates and resume builder, which will enable you to structure your resume correctly, ensuring you do not leave out any essential information.
Walmart resume example
Dedicated cashier with four years of experience in retail. Expert ability in processing payments using various sale systems and excels at balancing cash drawers and reconciling cash and credit payments. Committed to helping customers to improve customer satisfaction and possess excellent communication and listening skills.
January 2016-June 2018
- Responsible for training new employees in the use of cash registers, handling stock and general store operations.
- Inspected merchandise for wear or damage when handling returns and processing refunds while implementing company policies.
- Explained specific item options to customers and increased sales and in-store purchases by 25%.
Cashier/Customer service representative
May 2014-December 2015
- Used Point-of-Sale system and accurately processed cash, check, debit, and credit card payments.
- Received training to fill roles in other departments to assist when needed.
- Maintained inventory by ordering products as required.
- Gave buyers up-to-date information on current discounts on merchandise to help the store reach its sales goals.
High School Diploma
Stratton Jr-Sr High School
- Credit and Collections
- Reports generation and analysis
- Excellent Customer Service
- Business management
- Multi-Task Management
- Account Management
- Excellent communication skills
Professional Credit Associate (PCA)
How to write a resume to work at Walmart
Writing a good resume that gets the hiring manager’s attention does not come easy to everyone. You may have all the required qualifications to work at Walmart, but if you don’t present them in the right way, you will miss out on a great opportunity.
Walmart’s cashiers and customer representatives may not require extensive experience on the job but still, need a well-structured resume to give the recruiter an idea of who they are and what they can do.
The structure of your resume for Walmart should have the following:
- The header section
- Resume summary/objective
- Work experience
- Education section
- Skills section
- An additional section(awards/honors, certifications, languages, volunteer work, and interests)
It is also important to personalize your resume to ensure it represents your skills and qualifications in the best way. Some of the ways you can personalize your resume to work at Walmart include:
- Tailor each resume for each job you apply for to avoid using one generic resume for multiple job applications.
- Check the job description and add some of the keywords and action verbs to your resume to ensure the ATS systems do not filter it out.
- Use the right format and layout for your resume to ensure it is easy to read and understand.
The layout (and how to make It appealing)
The layout of your resume should make it easy to read. The recommended font size is 10-12pt, and the fonts include Arial, Calibri, Times New Roman, and Cambia. The resume length should be one page long and summarize the relevant skills, experience and educational qualifications.
The best format
The best format for your Walmart cashier resume is the reverse-chronological order. This format is the most preferred by hiring managers because it is easy to scan on ATS systems. It focuses on your experience and professional achievements and is perfect for candidates with some years of experience.
The two other resume formats are functional and hybrid resumes.
The functional resume focuses on your skills and educational qualifications and is perfect for career changers or entry-level candidates.
A hybrid resume mixes the best features of the reverse-chronological and functional resume formats. It works well for experienced candidates who have multiple skills and years of relevant experience.
Start with the Header
The header is the first section of the resume that contains your full name, phone number, email address, LinkedIn profile and website link (optional). The hiring manager uses the information in this section to contact you, so it should be accurate.
It is not mandatory to add your location unless the recruiter requires this information. If you don’t have a professional email address, you should create one that you can add to your resume because an unprofessional email address can cost you an opportunity.
Example of a good header
Example of a bad header
3717 Bates Brothers Road
House number 15
Columbus, OH 43214
Date of birth 02/05/1989
A photo is not necessary on your application unless the hiring manager requires one. Most recruiters advise against having a photo on your resume because it increases the chances of discrimination and unconscious bias. However, if you are required to attach a photo, it should be professional.
Work Experience in the Walmart resume (+ what to do if you have no experience)
Your work experience section highlights what you can do based on your previous work history. If you have years of relevant experience in a large retail corporation, you can use the reverse-chronological order to showcase your experience.
You can use a Walmart cashier example resume as a guide if you don’t know what to add to this section. You will start with the name of the workplace, the job title, and the years spent at each workplace. Under each workplace, you can add three to five duties and responsibilities then quantify them with facts and figures.
Examples of work experience for a junior candidate
Junior Cashier/Customer representative
June 2017-December 2019
- Assisted customers with locating and choosing merchandise throughout the store.
- Counted the cash drawer at the beginning and end of shifts and reconciled records of purchases and receipts.
- Collaborated and assisted front-end staff in providing service to customers.
- Responsible for greeting customers at the store, answering phone calls, assisting with customer inquiries and processing orders.
Examples of work experience for a senior retail professional
April 2014-July 2016
- Performed various tasks, including assisting customers with finding the products they need, maintaining cash registers, scanning items, applying discounts on customer purchases, processing returns, and implementing store policies.
- Assisted with controlling store shoplifting and provided security with the description of suspected thieves.
- Assisted in training co-workers on various accounting aspects and maintaining the cash register.
- Followed department plans and stock rotation policies when placing new merchandise on shelves.
Highlight your education in your Walmart resume
Most jobs at walmart do not require a college degree, but you should add it to this section if you attended a community college and have a degree. A resume example can help you structure this section if you are unsure what you should add to it. This section can help you stand out if you are tied to all other qualifications with the other candidates, so you should never leave it out of your resume.
If you are using the reverse-chronological format, you will list your education after the experience and skills. However, if you choose the functional resume format, you will start with the skills and education, then list the experience.
How to list your education in a Walmart resume
It is advisable to start with the most recent educational qualifications in your Walmart resume. You will start with the name of the degree/diploma, name of the school and year of completion when listing the qualifications. You can also add the location of the school and your GPA if it’s impressive and will help set you apart from the other candidates.
Example of the education in a resume for Walmart
Roosevelt High School
Skills: fundamental in your resume for Walmart
The skills help show the recruiting manager you have what it takes to perform the job efficiently and effectively. It is important to check the job description and add some of the skills to your resume to work at Walmart to ensure the ATS systems do not filter it out.
If you’ve never worked as a cashier or customer representative before, the skills section allows you to show the hiring manager you are a strong candidate for the job. If you have any other experience from a previous job, you can list the transferable skills useful in the new position. An even better way to stand out is to mention real instances where your skills allowed you to make a difference at the job.
What are the main skills sought for in a Walmart Resume?
- Retail management
- Store management
- Microsoft Office
- Merchandise restocking
- POS systems
- Cash register operation
- Credit and cash transactions
- Cash drawer balancing
- Customer order recording
- Payment processing
- Interpersonal skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Time management
- Decision making
- Positive attitude
- Highly energetic
- Multi-tasking skills
- Organization skills
Additional sections for your Walmart resume
Your Walmart resume gives you a chance to introduce yourself to the hiring manager and compel them to invite you for an interview. Recruiters get many applications for each position, so your application needs to stand out.
One of the ways to ensure your resume gets the hiring manager’s attention is by including an additional segment to your resume. This gives them more insight into your other qualifications, making you a unique candidate, which may help you land an interview.
Some of the headings you can add to your resume include:
Computer skills and certifications
Cashiers and customer representatives need basic computer skills because they are required to record transactions and payments on the computer, organize inventories, and receive merchandise, among other tasks.
These skills make it easy for you to learn the system that the company uses during training. If you have this qualification, it is important to list it in your cashier or customer service resume because it can give you an edge over the other candidates.
Working as a Walmart cashier may not require certification, but you can add it to your resume if you have one. The Cashiering Professional Certificate (CSPC) is one of those certificates that will allow your resume to stand out for a cashier position.
Your interests give the recruiter a chance to know more about you outside of work and can help show your future employer that you are a well-rounded person. However, it is important to consider interests that showcase you as a proactive individual. Interests such as hiking, reading, and helping out with typical activities, such as cooking and cleaning at a children’s shelter, are great to have in your resume.
Walmart’s employees deal with customers from different cultures, so if you have any language skills, list them in a separate section. You can use the official language reference when listing your languages as follows:
- French DELF (with a score of 60% or higher)
- TOEFL for English
- SIELE for Spanish
What other sections to include?
Other sections that you can include are:
If you have done any volunteer work, you should not leave it out of your resume. You can highlight it under this section to ensure the recruiter does not miss it.
If you received an award or honor for your work in a previous workplace, you should add it under this section.
About me: How to write your professional summary
We cannot forget the professional summary, which comes right after the header and introduces your resume to the recruiter. This short paragraph, usually two to three sentences, summarizes your experience and professional accomplishments. It should also be interesting and captivating to compel the recruiter to read the rest of your resume.
Professional objective. Best professional profile for candidates without experience
A professional objective summarizes your skills and career goals and allows you to show the hiring manager how they align with the company goals. It is great for entry-level candidates and career changers who don’t have the relevant experience.
Tips to boost your Walmart resume
- Personalize each resume to match the job and company requirements and avoid using one generic resume for all job applications.
- Summarize your most relevant experience and skills to increase your chances of getting an invitation for an interview.
- Add the right keywords and action verbs to ensure the applicant tracking systems do not filter out your resume.
- Start with a compelling professional summary to interest the recruiting manager to read the rest of your resume.
Summary: Writing a perfect resume for Walmart
- Check your header to ensure the information you provide is accurate.
- The format you choose for your resume should be easy to read and understand.
- Your Walmart resume should be one page long.
- If you don’t have the relevant experience, you should add the transferable skills you gained from a previous job that will be useful in the new position.
- Use facts and figures to quantify your duties and responsibilities in every workplace.
- Proofread your resume before submitting it to ensure it does not have errors and mistakes.
Write a Cover Letter that matches your resume
Cover letters give you a chance to showcase your creativity and personality as you also express your passion for the job. They allow you to highlight some of your top achievements and qualifications that you may not have mentioned in your resume. Therefore, It is essential to accompany your resume with a cover letter unless the hiring manager states otherwise to ensure your application is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions
What skills should I put on my resume for a job at Walmart?
- Attention to detail
- Team player
- Multitasking skills
- Effective communication skills
- Excellent customer service skills
- Basic math skills
- Interpersonal skills
How do I write a resume at Walmart?
Your Walmart resume should have the key sections: the header, professional summary/objective, work experience section, education section, skills section, and an additional information section (awards/honors, interests, languages, volunteer work, and computer skills and certifications).
How long should my resume for Walmart be?
Your resume should be one page long.
How do I describe my cashier experience on my Walmart resume?
You can check the job description and incorporate some of the duties and responsibilities listed on your resume. It would be best to quantify them using facts and figures to show the hiring manager what you can do based on your previous work history.