In addition to having an updated portfolio with all your work, you should set yourself apart by crafting a fashion assistant resume that details your exceptional skills and experience in the industry. Show your potential employer that you’re up to date with the newest fashion trends, and let your creativity shine through.
If you’re a guru in all matters of fashion but don’t know how to put it on paper, we’re here to help. In this article, we’ll go through a couple of topics to help you craft your professional resume, including:
- How to add your fashion experience to your resume.
- The essential skills for every fashion assistant.
- A fashion assistant resume sample to give you an idea of what you should have on your resume.
- Tips to incorporate in your resume for fashion assistant to ensure it stands out.
Fashion Assistant Resume Example
Talented fashion assistant with six years of experience in fashion and design. Expert in choosing sample garments, creating mood boards, and fashion show production. Detail-oriented and focused on exceeding monthly sales records and promoting customer satisfaction.
August 2018-December 2021
- Assisted the fashion director in designing clothing styles and constructing them by machine and hand.
- Reviewed garment magazines to get ideas on the current trends and shared them with the creative director.
- Handled travel arrangements abroad for the fashion department and provided sample garments to the fashion designer.
May 2016-July 2018
- Analyzed monthly sales records and created expense reports to help determine which areas needed work to improve the company’s overall sales.
- Drove brand awareness by sharing different designs on social media platforms, increasing sales by 50%.
- Created mood boards and shared them with the head designer before producing new pieces for fashion shows.
High School Diploma
Grady High School
- Project Management
- Creative thinking
- Organization skills
- Customer service skills
- Production techniques
- Time management skills
- Fashion Merchandising
Professional certification in Fashion
Job Prospects and Salary Range for Fashion Assistants
Fashion assistants can work for different professionals in the fashion industry with an aspiration to get to their level. One of these professionals is fashion designers, and according to the U.S Bureau of Statistics, employment of fashion designers is projected to grow by 3 percent from 2021 to 2031.
The industries with the highest levels of employment in Fashion Designers include:
- Apparel, Piece Goods, and Notions Merchant Wholesalers
- Management of Companies and Enterprises
- Cut and Sew Apparel Manufacturing
- Electronic Shopping and Mail-Order Houses
- Specialized Design Services
The average salary for a fashion assistant is $37,000. The typical range is between $30,000 and $46,000, depending on the level of education, skills, and experience.
How to Write A Resume for A Fashion Assistant
Each fashion assistant job will have different requirements, so you cannot use a generic resume to apply for multiple jobs. Different employers in the fashion world will have various specifications, so you must tailor each resume to match these specifications.
Always use the job description to get the right keywords and action verbs to optimize your resume. This helps to ensure that your resume gets past the applicant tracking system that filters out resumes that don’t have the minimum requirements.
Working in the fashion industry requires creativity, knowledge of current trends, and the best ways to appeal to your customers. Your resume should showcase these skills and more if you want to stand out and get the position. Check out our resume examples to see how you can incorporate some of the ideas in your resume.
The resume layout, format, and structure are also crucial. Here are more details.
Best Resume Format
The format you choose should bring out your best qualifications. Here are three formats to choose from.
- Reverse-chronological format – If you’ve worked for many years in fashion, this is the perfect format for you. It focuses on your experience, making it a favorite of many hiring managers.
- Functional resume format – This format focuses on the skills, making it perfect for career changers and recent graduates who don’t have much experience.
- Hybrid/combination resume – This format combines the best features of the reverse-chronological and functional resume format. This format is for you if you have the perfect blend of experience and skills.
The layout or design of your format should be simple. As a fashion assistant, you may not want to create a plain resume, and that’s okay. You want to showcase your creativity from the get-go, and most recruiters in this field will appreciate this. However, don’t make the design too complicated because ensuring your potential employer can read your qualifications is the most important thing. Use fonts that are easy to read and a font size of 10-12pt. Check out our professional resume templates and choose from our beautiful designs.
The structure of your fashion assistant resume should have the following sections:
- The resume header
- Professional summary/ objective
- Work experience section
- Education section
- Skills section
- An additional section (languages, awards/honors, interests, computer skills, and certifications)
The Resume Header
The header section has your personal and contact information. The details should be correct since the recruiter needs this information to contact you. They include:
- Your full name
- Job title
- Phone number
- Professional email address
- A link to your portfolio
2665 Camel Back Road
House number 334
Date of birth 02/09/2015
💡The header section should always be brief. Prioritize the contact and personal information that the recruiter needs to contact you.
Impress The Recruiter With Your Work Experience Section
There are many opportunities in the fashion industry, but the reality is that most professionals will want to see what you’ve done before giving you a chance. The work experience section on your resume allows you to detail your employment history.
It’s always better to prioritize the relevant experience. If you’re going to be working with fashion stylists, then your experience should focus on fashion styling. If you want to work in fashion design, preparing mood boards, and bringing creative designs to life, your experience should focus on this area.
Always start with your most recent position going backward. Add the company’s name, your job title, and the employment dates at each place. Under each workplace, you’ll list three to five job responsibilities and quantify them using figures and facts. This will show your potential employer what you can do and possibly convince them to give you the opportunity.
Example for an entry-level fashion assistant
Argos Fashion House
February 2017-June 2018
- Organized meetings with fashion bloggers to discuss collaborations that would help increase awareness using our social media platforms.
- Assisted in planning photo shoots to promote new designs for fashion week.
- Executed various administrative tasks, including organizing sales meetings, event planning, and efficiently addressing concerns which promoted customer satisfaction.
Example for experienced fashion assistants
Senior Fashion Assistant
May 2019-December 2021
- Coordinated all matters of fashion with a team of eight people, from market research, sending sample requests, approval, the production process, photo shoots, and showcasing the designs during fashion week.
- Attended market appointments to discuss trend reports and strategies for ad campaigns with the fashion stylist, creative director, and fashion designer.
- Managed expense reports and produced effective ad campaigns that increased sales by 25%.
Detail Your Educational Background
You don’t need a formal education to get a job as a fashion assistant. However, every educational qualification you have will play a significant role in ensuring you beat your competitors. If you have a college degree in fashion design, add it to your resume, as it will help set you apart from the other candidates who don’t have one.
When listing your education, start with your most recent qualification. The details you should add here include the name of the degree/diploma, the name of the school, and the graduation year. You don’t have to add the high school diploma if you have a college degree or a Master’s.
Bachelor’s Degree in Fashion Design
Create A List of Fashion Assistant Skills In Your Resume
The fashion director will be looking for specific skills in an assistant before giving them the opportunity. If you don’t have these skills on your resume, you’ll miss out on your dream job.
Your resume should have the perfect blend of soft and technical skills. The technical skills will help you perform job-specific duties, while the soft skills will allow you to interact well with your colleagues in the fashion department and the clients.
Use the job description to your advantage by picking the skills the recruiter will be looking for and incorporating them into your resume. This helps to optimize your resume and ensure it gets past the ATS systems.
Also, use bullet points when listing your skills, making it easier for the recruiter to spot them on your resume.
Here are some skills you can consider for your fashion assistant resume.
- Trend analysis
- Market research
- Project management
- Production techniques
- Inventory management
- Fashion styling
- Quality control
- Photo shoot production
- Creative thinking
- Attention to detail
- Time management
- Multitasking skills
- Communication skills
- Customer service skills
Write A Compelling Professional Summary
A professional summary is crucial as it introduces your qualifications to the recruiter. It summarizes your top accomplishments, skills, and professional experience as a fashion assistant to give the recruiter an idea of what you’ve achieved. Make it interesting and use catchy language to get the recruiter’s attention.
Successful fashion assistant with eight years of experience in the fashion industry. Extensive knowledge of sales strategies, fashion trends, and consumer preferences. Proven ability to drive sales and increase revenue by up to 40% by analyzing market trends and catering to customers’ needs. Exceptional attention to detail and customer service skills.
💡The example above highlights the candidate’s skills, experience, and an accomplishment that shows their capabilities.
Talented fashion assistant with an excellent reputation who excels at styling fashion shoots.
💡The example above is vague and fails to show the recruiter the skills and achievements that make the candidate unique.
If you’re getting started as a fashion assistant, you’ll use a resume objective to highlight your career goals and express your interest in the job. Make it engaging to get the hiring manager’s attention and get them to read the rest of your resume.
Creative fashion assistant skilled in preparing mood boards, organizing photo shoots, and event planning. Proven talent in reviewing garment magazines and hands-on experience in fashion styling. Effectively coordinates with the fashion team to develop plans for seasonal changes and special celebrations during fashion week. Looking for an opportunity at Hunnay Designs.
Include An Additional Section In Your Resume To Set You Apart
The additional section hosts your extra qualifications and skills that will help you stand out. In a field that is so competitive, you need to pull all the stops to get the fashion assistant position.
Recruiters can also easily miss some of your qualifications, so it helps to add them to this section.
Let’s look at some skills you can add to this section.
Computing Skills & Certifications
Basic computer skills are essential for every fashion assistant. You may be required to use software programs like Adobe Illustrator, and the recruiter shouldn’t miss this qualification on your resume.
Fashion assistants may not require formal education but need certifications to get some additional training and better their craft. Some of the certifications that will help your resume stand out include the following:
- Certificate in Fashion Design
- Certification in Fashion Product Management
- Accredited Diploma Course for Personal Stylists
Bilingual candidates stand out in almost every field, and the fashion industry is not any different. You interact with people from different cultures, and your language skills come in handy. List these skills in this section to ensure that the recruiter doesn’t miss them. Also, use the official language reference as follows:
- SIELE(Spanish) – Level C2
- IELTS(English) – 7.0 score)
- Goethe Zertifikat(German) – 85%
Employers in this industry love an all-rounded candidate and would love to know who you are outside of work. Add your interests to this section to give them insight into what else you love doing. Companies are different, so do your research and determine what will work for your potential employer.
Tips To Help You Enhance Your Resume
- To ensure the ATS systems do not filter your resume out, use keywords and action verbs in certain sections of your resume to optimize it.
- Keep your fashion assistant resume short.
- Avoid using one job title for multiple applications.
- Tailor each resume and match it to the recruiter’s requirements.
- Proofread the resume to check for mistakes before sending it to the recruiter.
Summary: Writing a Professional Resume as a Fashion Assistant
- Start your resume with a header that contains your contact and personal details.
- Summarize your top accomplishments and experience in the resume summary section.
- If you have little experience, introduce your resume with a professional objective.
- Describe your relevant work history in the experience section.
- List your skills in bullet-point form to make it easy for the recruiter to see them on the resume.
- Include your skills and other qualifications in the additional section.
Complement Your Fashion Assistant Resume With A Cover Letter
A resume not accompanied by a cover letter makes your application incomplete. In some cases, the recruiter may ask you not to send a cover letter. You don’t need to send one if that’s the case. A cover letter allows you to give more details about your qualifications and showcase your writing skills and personality. Use our cover letter examples to help you create one that will help your application to stand out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which top companies are hiring fashion assistants?
According to Glassdoor, here are some of the companies hiring fashion assistants:
- Blaize Caprice
- The Southern Bunny
- Cloud Ten Fashion
- Sans Souci Clothing
- BRUNT Workwear
- Hawke and Co Mens
- The Sang Clothing
Which three professionals in the fashion industry work with fashion assistants?
- Fashion Designers
- Fashion Stylists
- Fashion Directors