Are you lacking inspiration? Or do you have no idea where to start? Don’t worry! This guide is for you!
Here’s how to write a cover letter for an internship abroad
Note: Do you want to save time while preparing your internship application? Feel free to download our free cover letter and resume templates.
Sample cover letter for an internship abroad
4871 Ashton Lane Austin, TX
628 Veltri Drive Takotna, AK
May 26, 2021
Subject: Application for an internship as an import-export salesman within Speedex for a period of 6 months
Currently a second year student of Arthur College business at TSC Maryland, I am looking for a 6 month internship starting in September as a part of my studies. Working as an intern in an international company like Mellot would be a quite unique opportunity for me to develop my knowledge in the field and reach my career goal.
After my professional baccalaureate in commerce at the Sanem College, I set myself a precise objective: to become an import-export salesman. This commercial internship at Speedex would be a step closer to my ultimate dream. Indeed, I would like to specialize in importing and exporting art and hotel lighting, one of the main activities of your company.
During my 6-month internship as a sales assistant at Traders International, I was able to put into practice my knowledge of import and export procedures as well as commercial intelligence techniques on the international market. In addition, I am a good negotiator and a team player who can help your company achieve its goals.
I am ready to go above and beyond the call of duty to successfully complete my internship and the tasks you would entrust to me within Speedex. In order to discuss our respective interests in more detail, I would like to ask you to meet with me. I am attaching my curriculum vitae so that you can discover a little more about my skills and qualities.
I look forward to hearing from you.
How to write a cover letter for an internship abroad
To grab all the chances, show in your cover letter that this internship abroad is made for you. Clearly state that your application is addressed to the company to which you are applying.
Here are the best practices:
- Emphasize that your academic background is appropriate for the internship in question
- Show that you really want to learn and develop your knowledge in an international company
- Highlight your interest in the company
- Demonstrate that your professional objective is perfectly coherent with the internship you are aiming for
- Explain that you have the skills necessary to effectively perform your future duties as an intern
- Make it clear that you wish to request an interview
The layout of the cover letter for an internship abroad
Do not neglect the aesthetic side in your cover letters. Although the presentation is not decisive for the recruiter, it will allow you to make a good first impression.
Here are the basic rules for formatting a cover letter:
- Summarize your motivation in 1 page in A4 format (like the perfect resume)
- Aerate the structure with line breaks between paragraphs and 1.15 cm spacing between lines
- Write short paragraphs (4 to 5 lines)
- Don’t take chances with fancy letter templates
- Opt for a simple design (a small colored border and a bold name)
- Choose a font size between 10 and 12 points
- Use a professional font (Garamond, Verdana, Calibri …)
- Align the text on the left to optimize the readability of the document
Structure of the cover letter for an internship abroad
As far as the plan goes, try to follow this classic structure:
- Specific application subject: Application for an internship [name of internship] at [name of company] + duration of internship
- Introduction (1 paragraph)
- Interest in the internship and career objective (1 paragraph)
- Skills (1 paragraph)
- Request for a job interview (1 paragraph)
- Classic greeting (1 paragraph)
- First name, last name and signature
Writing a cover letter for an internship abroad
In the upper left corner of your cover letter, you should include your contact information:
- Your first name
- Your name
- Your postal address
- Your e-mail address
- Your phone number (with the code +33 for France)
- The name of the company
- The name of the person in charge of recruitment
- The address of the company
Writing the perfect hook for an internship in an international company
The purpose of the hook is to entice the recruiter to continue reading, so it should answer the following questions:
- Who are you? (your current level of education)
- Why are you looking for an internship?
- How long is the internship?
- What is your professional goal?
Example of a good hook
Example of a bad hook
Mention your professional project in your cover letter for your internship
In this paragraph, demonstrate that you want to do this internship abroad for a specific purpose.
So, try to connect your career plans with your interest in the internship position at the company.
Example of a professional project in a cover letter for an internship abroad
Highlight your strengths and key skills in your cover letter
Although you will be working as an intern, recruiters want to know if you will be able to carry out your future tasks.
So, write a paragraph specifically dedicated to your skills. It can be your know-how acquired during your previous experiences (internship, summer job, volunteer work) or your personal skills. Be sure to explain that your strengths will be useful in helping the company achieve its goals.
How to finish your cover letter for an internship abroad
Forgetting to specify a request for an interview in the letter is a mistake that many candidates make. And yet, this last paragraph will allow the recruiter to project himself.
Finally, end your letter with a greeting.
Examples of interview request forms
- With this in mind, I hope to meet with you soon for an interview so that I can answer any questions you may have.
- I would like to ask you, Madam, Sir, to grant me a meeting so that we can discuss our respective ambitions in greater detail.
Examples of closing greetings
- We look forward to hearing from you. Please accept, Sir, my sincere regards.
- Yours sincerely.
Summary: Key points for writing a convincing cover letter for an internship abroad
- Make a simple presentation that reflects your professionalism
- Aerate the structure of the cover letter
- Write a cover letter that arouses the recruiter’s interest
- Demonstrate that his or her career plans are related to his or her interest in the internship
- Mention the hard and soft skills that you can use to benefit the company
- Specify that you wish to meet the recruiter for a job interview
Which resume to choose for the cover letter for internship abroad?
The information provided in the cover letter and resume must be consistent. This way, you increase your credibility.
To save a lot of time, we offer you our free and customizable resume examples. Simply choose the model that best reflects your personality. Then, download it for free in Word format to modify the predefined information with your own.
How to write the e-mail that will contain the cover letter?
- Start your email with a polite greeting (Dear Sir or Madam)
- Briefly describe your interest in the internship
- Indicate your key skills that could be useful to the company
- Don’t forget to insist that your skills and qualities correspond to those described in the job description.